LOWER SCHOOL NEWSLETTER from Wade Putnal
September 17, 2015
Our mission at First Presbyterian Day School is to educate and equip students
to change the world for God’s glory.
- Viking FAN FARE is back! Join us tomorrow, beginning at 5:15 pm on the practice field, for bounce houses, games, face painting and more! Don’t miss the Viking Walk at 6:15 and the FPD Varsity football game vs. GMC Prep, with kickoff at 7:30. Go Vikings!
- NEW FAMILY DINNER is TOMORROW at 6:00 pm. New FPD families are invited to enjoy a casual dinner at the Wilson-Anderson Family Pavilion prior to the football game. For more info, contact Tammy Jones, 478-477-6505, ext at 102.
- BACKPACK MINISTRY: Immediate needs are: grits packets, pop tarts, PB crackers, fruit cups, juice boxes and juice pouches (preferably fruit juices.) Thank you for all the donations!
- “Super Duck,” the beloved tale of the Ugly Duckling (retold with an action-packed twist!) will be performed Sept. 22nd at 7pm; Sept. 23rd at 1pm; and Sept. 24th at 7pm in the Clark Fine Arts Auditorium. Come enjoy this show brought to life on stage by more than 60 students in 3rd – 5th grade. Adult admission is $5; all students are free. Great fun! Invite your neighbors!
- BIRTHDAY SNACKS: If you would like to send a snack on your child’s birthday, please FIRST contact your teacher several days in advance. You may then either send the snack in the morning with your child or drop it off at the elementary office. We love celebrating with our students!
- Why is FPD a great place to be? We have many reasons which we will be exploring in an upcoming Facebook video series, but we really want to hear your reasons! You can tell us why you think FPD is great by going to www.fpdmacon.org/reasons. We'll collect all of the reasons and use them in an upcoming article in our magazine.
- The Viking Store has what your Viking needs: school supplies, spirit t-shirts, outerwear, gifts and much more! “Viking Bucks” gift cards are perfect for any occasion. We have a good selection of Lands’ End short sleeve polo shirts. Check out our Facebook page or school website to see our newest items! Located in the MAC building next to the cafeteria and open school days 7:45am-3:30pm. Contact Renita at email@example.com or 477-6300 x 177.
- The FPD “Moms in Prayer” group meets monthly to pray for our students, families, faculty, and staff. Everyone is welcome! Email Courtney Cawley at firstname.lastname@example.org for info and to share prayer needs. We are so grateful for this ministry to uplift and encourage all our FPD family.
- What’s New in the Library: Please mark your calendar for Wed, Oct. 7th, 3:00 pm in the Library. (If your child typically stays at Extended Day after 3:00, a worker will bring him/her to and from the party.) Thank you for participating and adding more than 120 books to our collection. We look forward to seeing your child at the party! If they attend, please call the library (477-6505, x 112) and leave a message so we can order refreshments accurately.
- FPD Homecoming Celebration is Oct. 16th-17th! It’s a weekend full of fun with your FPD family. Don’t miss the third annual “Day School Dash,” a 5K event that will start and end on campus using the Peake Cross Country Trail, along with a 1-mile “Fun Run.” Football Homecoming 2015 vs. Tattnall is Friday at 7:30 pm. For more info: www.fpdmacon.org
- Accelerated Reader: You can easily search for AR quizzes at www.fpdmacon.org Click “FPD Community” tab, “Parent Links” tab, then scroll down to “AR BookFinder” under Educational tools. Click link to search for a book. Questions? Email: email@example.com
- Please take time and label all things that your child brings to school - water bottles, jackets, lunchboxes, hats, bags – everything! Thanks so much!
- DID YOU KNOW . . . FPD’s Class of 2015, made up of 90 seniors, had 46 honor grads, 51 National Honor Society members, 49 AP Scholars and 83% of the graduating students had a 3.0 or higher GPA, making them eligible to receive the HOPE scholarship. Way to go!
*** Mark Your Calendar ***
- Dress Down Day – Friday, Sept. 25th – Bring your $1 donation for the United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation. Students may also wear a green shirt to show support!
- Lower School Chapel - Tuesday, Oct. 6th, 12:05-12:30pm. Parents are always welcome!
- Student Holidays – Friday, Oct. 9th and Monday, Oct. 12th – Enjoy time with your family!
- FPD Fall Festival – Tues, Oct. 27th – 12 noon to 3 p.m. Food, games, prizes – Something for everyone! Sponsored by the FPD Junior Class. Early dismissal for all 3K-12th graders.
- Early Dismissal/Half Day - Oct. 28th – On this Wednesday we will NOT have the late start time. School will begin at 8:15 and end at noon for grades 3K-5th.