Tuesday, September 29, 2015
Friday, September 25, 2015
Thursday, September 24, 2015
Wednesday, September 23, 2015
Today the 4th grade students experimented with making cloud models. Click below for a few videos of our morning in Science.
Click HERE to see Mrs. Clausen explain the process.
Click HERE to see William demonstrate cloud formation.
Click HERE to see Grace and Harper make clouds.
Tuesday, September 22, 2015
Thursday, September 17, 2015
LOWER SCHOOL NEWSLETTER from Wade Putnal
September 17, 2015
Our mission at First Presbyterian Day School is to educate and equip students
to change the world for God’s glory.
- Viking FAN FARE is back! Join us tomorrow, beginning at 5:15 pm on the practice field, for bounce houses, games, face painting and more! Don’t miss the Viking Walk at 6:15 and the FPD Varsity football game vs. GMC Prep, with kickoff at 7:30. Go Vikings!
- NEW FAMILY DINNER is TOMORROW at 6:00 pm. New FPD families are invited to enjoy a casual dinner at the Wilson-Anderson Family Pavilion prior to the football game. For more info, contact Tammy Jones, 478-477-6505, ext at 102.
- BACKPACK MINISTRY: Immediate needs are: grits packets, pop tarts, PB crackers, fruit cups, juice boxes and juice pouches (preferably fruit juices.) Thank you for all the donations!
- “Super Duck,” the beloved tale of the Ugly Duckling (retold with an action-packed twist!) will be performed Sept. 22nd at 7pm; Sept. 23rd at 1pm; and Sept. 24th at 7pm in the Clark Fine Arts Auditorium. Come enjoy this show brought to life on stage by more than 60 students in 3rd – 5th grade. Adult admission is $5; all students are free. Great fun! Invite your neighbors!
- BIRTHDAY SNACKS: If you would like to send a snack on your child’s birthday, please FIRST contact your teacher several days in advance. You may then either send the snack in the morning with your child or drop it off at the elementary office. We love celebrating with our students!
- Why is FPD a great place to be? We have many reasons which we will be exploring in an upcoming Facebook video series, but we really want to hear your reasons! You can tell us why you think FPD is great by going to www.fpdmacon.org/reasons. We'll collect all of the reasons and use them in an upcoming article in our magazine.
- The Viking Store has what your Viking needs: school supplies, spirit t-shirts, outerwear, gifts and much more! “Viking Bucks” gift cards are perfect for any occasion. We have a good selection of Lands’ End short sleeve polo shirts. Check out our Facebook page or school website to see our newest items! Located in the MAC building next to the cafeteria and open school days 7:45am-3:30pm. Contact Renita at firstname.lastname@example.org or 477-6300 x 177.
- The FPD “Moms in Prayer” group meets monthly to pray for our students, families, faculty, and staff. Everyone is welcome! Email Courtney Cawley at email@example.com for info and to share prayer needs. We are so grateful for this ministry to uplift and encourage all our FPD family.
- What’s New in the Library: Please mark your calendar for Wed, Oct. 7th, 3:00 pm in the Library. (If your child typically stays at Extended Day after 3:00, a worker will bring him/her to and from the party.) Thank you for participating and adding more than 120 books to our collection. We look forward to seeing your child at the party! If they attend, please call the library (477-6505, x 112) and leave a message so we can order refreshments accurately.
- FPD Homecoming Celebration is Oct. 16th-17th! It’s a weekend full of fun with your FPD family. Don’t miss the third annual “Day School Dash,” a 5K event that will start and end on campus using the Peake Cross Country Trail, along with a 1-mile “Fun Run.” Football Homecoming 2015 vs. Tattnall is Friday at 7:30 pm. For more info: www.fpdmacon.org
- Accelerated Reader: You can easily search for AR quizzes at www.fpdmacon.org Click “FPD Community” tab, “Parent Links” tab, then scroll down to “AR BookFinder” under Educational tools. Click link to search for a book. Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please take time and label all things that your child brings to school - water bottles, jackets, lunchboxes, hats, bags – everything! Thanks so much!
- DID YOU KNOW . . . FPD’s Class of 2015, made up of 90 seniors, had 46 honor grads, 51 National Honor Society members, 49 AP Scholars and 83% of the graduating students had a 3.0 or higher GPA, making them eligible to receive the HOPE scholarship. Way to go!
*** Mark Your Calendar ***
- Dress Down Day – Friday, Sept. 25th – Bring your $1 donation for the United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation. Students may also wear a green shirt to show support!
- Lower School Chapel - Tuesday, Oct. 6th, 12:05-12:30pm. Parents are always welcome!
- Student Holidays – Friday, Oct. 9th and Monday, Oct. 12th – Enjoy time with your family!
- FPD Fall Festival – Tues, Oct. 27th – 12 noon to 3 p.m. Food, games, prizes – Something for everyone! Sponsored by the FPD Junior Class. Early dismissal for all 3K-12th graders.
- Early Dismissal/Half Day - Oct. 28th – On this Wednesday we will NOT have the late start time. School will begin at 8:15 and end at noon for grades 3K-5th.
Wednesday, September 16, 2015
Tuesday, September 15, 2015
Today we enjoyed a wonderful chapel. It was also Mrs. Putnal's birthday, and we loved the story she shared with us as a special treat! Enjoy a few pictures of our time worshiping together...
Click below for the songs that we sang in today's chapel:
Phil. 4:6-7 Do Not Be Anxious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd35-M-xLX4
Grace (La-De-Da): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ku99SX_sX8
Thursday, September 10, 2015
Thursday, September 3, 2015
Parents, please see the "Important Documents" section on the right for a link to this study guide. Test is Thursday, Sept. 10th. Students should be able to identify continents and oceans on a map, label the cardinal and ordinal directions on a compass rose, and apply the map skills we have been using in class over the last 2 weeks. Thanks so much! Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend with your families!
Lower School Newsletter from Wade Putnal
September 3rd, 2015
NEW FORMAT FOR COMMUNICATION: Starting today, you will begin receiving this Lower School Newsletter and the Counselor’s Corner Newsletter Electronically through your grade level blogs, class emails, social media posts, and/or accessing the FPD website, www.fpdmacon.org. If you prefer a printed paper copy, those will be available in the Elementary Office.
Why is FPD a great place to be? We have many reasons which we will be exploring in an upcoming Facebook video series, but we really want to hear your reasons! You can tell us why you think FPD is great by going to www.fpdmacon.org/reasons. We'll collect all of the reasons and use them in an upcoming article in our magazine.
Check it out: Last week our 5th graders worked in the Science Lab to make doughnuts as part of their novel study of Homer Price. This is just one of the many reasons that FPD is a great place to be! Visit: www.fpdmacon.org/reasons.
Mrs. Krejci has posted some wonderful new pictures and video of FPD students on her blog, The Viking Music Room. Visit: www.fpdmusic.com to see and hear!
Library News: Thank you for participating in the Birthday Book Club sale at Open House! The children LOVE being the first ones to check out “their” books and read them with their names on the nameplate inside. Did you put the party date on your calendar? Wednesday, Oct. 7th at 3:00 pm. It’s NOT too late to participate. We still have plenty of books to choose from in the library and will have them available for another week. Many thanks!
Fall Classes: Check out all the great offerings for children and adults through our FPD Center for Discovery! Soccer, chess, lacrosse, Bricks4Kidz, gymnastics, music, baking, dance, crafts, yoga – and many more! To view brochure and register online, go to www.fpdmacon.org/center-for-discovery. Invite a friend to sign up with you!
3K, Pre-K, K Carpool and Parking: If you need to come inside the Kindergarten building during school hours please PARK in the Fine Arts parking lot or in a parking space. DO NOT leave your car unattended on the curb near the building. This blocks the walkway for classes during school and the flow of traffic during carpool. Thanks!
The Viking Store has Lands’ End short sleeve polo shirts in stock! We also have a great selection of spirit T-shirts for Fridays (must be worm with uniform bottoms.) You can see these designs and more on Facebook at FPD-The Viking Store. We have a huge selection of new novelty items such as VIKINGNATION street signs, wall decorations, automobile vanity plates, and key chains. Open M-F, 7:45 am - 3:30 pm next to the cafeteria in the MAC. Also, visit us at home football games at our remote location.
NOT ON THE LUNCH PLAN? Your child can still eat in the lunchroom any day:
Cost? $7, billed to your FPD account How? Parents/students should send a note to the Elementary office or email: email@example.com (Visitors are still welcome and may pay with cash or check if needed)
BAND CONCERT: On Tues., Oct. 6th, our FPD bands will perform in our Fine Arts Center at 7:30pm. The program features our 3 concert bands and the Mercer University Wind Ensemble, directed by Dr. Douglas Hill. Concert is free! Come enjoy a night of beautiful music by our talented FPD and Mercer student musicians.
*** Mark Your Calendar ***
· Labor Day Holiday – Monday, Sept. 7th – no school/offices closed
· Boy Scout Information meeting for parents – Sept. 10, 6:30 pm, Media Center
· Friday, Sept. 11th – Red Cross Blood Drive, Fine Arts lobby, 8am-1pm
· Monday, Sept. 14th – “Moms In Prayer” first meeting, 12:30pm. All are welcome!
· September 14th, 6:00 pm: 5th grade parent’s WASHINGTON, DC MEETING – in the Media Center
· Elementary School pictures, Thursday, Sept. 17th
· New Family Dinner at football game, Friday, Sept. 18th
· Elementary Play, “Super Duck,” performed by 3rd-5th graders, Sept. 22-24
Wednesday, September 2, 2015
As I discussed at Open House I will offer Monday Math sessions for children who have questions. The times will be 2:50 (right when we head to carpool) until 3:20. If your child would like to come you can just plan on picking him/her up at 3:20 in carpool. One week out of each month I have carpool duty and will not be able to offer the Q & A time. Each month I will post on the blog the dates Monday Math will be offered. In September Monday Math will be September 14 and September 28. Remember, if your child has questions to ask Monday Math is a great opportunity to do so. Thank you for all you do to make your child successful in fourth grade!